German is the native language of well over 100 million people worldwide - in fact some figures have it as high as 121 million. It is the main language of 90-95 million people in Europe. German is one of the world's major languages and is the most widely-spoken first language in the European Union. German is the official language of the 82.2 million inhabitants of Germany, but also of Austria (8.36 million) and Liechtenstein. German-speaking communities can be found in the former German colony of Namibia, independent from South Africa since 1990, as well as in the other countries of German emigration such as the US, Canada, Mexico, Dominican Republic, Brazil, Argentina, Paraguay, Uruguay, Chile, Peru, Venezuela (where the dialect Alemán Coloniero developed), South Africa and Australia. In Namibia, German Namibians retain German educational institutions.
Why Learn German Language:
- This is the language of the most powerful country in the European Community.
- German is the third-most taught foreign language in the English-speaking world, after French and Spanish.
- German is a language of immense economic use in the German-speaking countries.
- German is by far the most widely spoken language in Switzerland.
- If you like industry, just think of Krupp and Thyssen.